Monday, April 20, 2015

48 Hour Fast

I decided to start my fast on this past Friday night at 7 pm and continued until Sunday at 7 pm. I chose this time because I am a huge Spurs fan and their first playoff game was Sunday at 8:30. Right then is when I realized I have a problem. I scheduled my homework assignment around a basketball game...please don't judge me too much. It all started off fine and I didn't really find it too hard on Friday night I just talked with my Fiance and his family no technology needed for that. The first time I really noticed I couldn't use technology was on my drive home when I couldn't use the radio. Then when I got home I went to text my fiance that I was home safe but I couldn't! So that was kind of weird and worried me a little. The next morning I woke up and went to check Facebook but that's a no no too. So I actually sat and talked to my parents. By the time mid afternoon on Saturday rolled around I was really starting to get annoyed with not being able to use any form of technology. However, I held strong and didn't use any technology and went to be optimistic that Sunday would be better because I would be at church. Oh how I was wrong. I went to church (without listening to the radio) and went to a meeting where I actually had to write down my notes on a piece of paper. My next technology snag came when I was in a class and went to look up a scripture but I couldn't so I had to use my actual paper scriptures. I then drove home and waited anxiously for it to be 7. As soon as the clock hit 7 I grabbed my phone and checked social media and then watched the Spurs game.

This was a very interesting assignment for me because I thought I had control over myself and how much I used technology. Turns out I am horrible at it. I planned all of this around when I wanted to watch a basketball game. I did realize that when I was not using technology as much I talked to people more. I was able to communicate with them face to face and hear the inflections in their voices and see their body language when they talked which is something you miss when you text someone. Overall this assignment helped me notice how much I really do depend on technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment